"No Cream" Cream of Chicken Soup!
Over the past few days, while on vacation, I have been sampling the food around Oxford, England. While I enjoyed tasting the local cuisine, my favorite meal came from Pret A Manger! These restaurants have made a recent appearance in New York City, but the English menu featured a soup I had never seen before. Called the "No Cream" Cream of Chicken Soup, the soup features a hearty mix of chicken and vegetables in a "creamy" vegetable purée base. This soup was a perfect remedy for the cold Oxford weather, and after some research, I was delighted to find the recipe. What a great souvenir to bring back home!
"No Cream" Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 1 stick of celery, sliced
- ½ medium fennel bulb, roughly chopped
- 850ml chicken stock
- 350g celeriac, peeled and roughly diced
- 150g cauliflower florets
- 25g gluten-free porridge oats
- 2 sage leaves, roughly chopped
- A small sprig of rosemary, roughly chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of white pepper
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 3 boneless chicken thighs, roughly diced
- A sprig of parsley, roughly chopped
1. Gently fry the garlic, onion, celery and fennel in the olive oil for 10 minutes until soft. Add the chicken stock, 250g celeriac (leaving 100g for garnish), cauliflower florets and porridge oats. Simmer for 15 minutes until the celeriac is soft. Blend until smooth.
2. Add the sage, rosemary, bay leaf, salt, pepper, carrots, celeriac garnish and chicken. Simmer for 10 minutes until the chicken is cooked. Enjoy!
Recipe and photo courtesy of Pret A Manger